PS 150Q is a high achieving school with dedicated staff who make sure that students achieve to their fullest capacity. We are a school in good standing. Consequently, we get yearly recognition from the State for our student progress and performance. PS150Q has been recognized as a NYC DOE Showcase School for their instructional best practices. Only 46 New York City public schools were awarded this honor. We are consistently scoring above the City and State in ELA and Math.
We have two buildings:
The Main Building is located on 40-01 43rd Avenue, Sunnyside NY 11104.
First through sixth grade children attend classes at this location. We currently have 780 enrolled students. In addition to a playground in our school yard, we have a school garden, an auditorium, a dance studio, technology room, art room, and hydroponic lab.
The Annex is located on 41-12 44th Street, Sunnyside NY 11104.
Pre-K and Kindergarten attend classes at this location. The Annex has its own cafeteria and playground, which gives our younger students a smaller environment to help them in their new school. During the school year, classes will visit the main building for performances and other events held there. Permission slips are required for field trips and whenever students leave the Annex during the school day.
Our mission is to help all of our students achieve at their highest level by providing instruction in a safe and nurturing environment. We also work hard to develop awareness and respect for cultural diversity.
Our mission includes the following:
- Promoting instruction aligned with Next Generation Standards
- Providing a wide range of academic and arts programs to develop critical thinking skills
- Supporting a positive learning environment through the collaborative work of dedicated staff, involved parents, and a supportive community
ELA Instructional FOCI
Students need additional support with the following reading comprehension skills - vocabulary, inference, main idea and perspective.
- Establish structures that allow students the opportunity to improve academic and literary vocabulary as a way of increasing reading comprehension.
- Develop a common language for these comprehension skills and create anchor charts that will support the learning.
- Establish consistent structures, such as in shared reading and close reading that will improve inference , main idea, and perspective skills.
- Establish structures that allow students to share their learning with peers within the class and across classes as a way of increasing the transference reading strategies.
With writing, we notice that students need to work on editing and elaboration.
- Provide students with opportunities to edit and elaborate their writing by using flaps, etc.
- Have them work with peers to review and edit work.
- Provide teachers with opportunities to study student work and make instructional changes, such as adding more editing and elaboration lessons.
Math Instructional FOCI
Students lack conceptual understanding and the ability to articulate a strong understanding of the following math skills - geometry, data and measurement, algebra and algebraic domains.
- Ensure that students get rich and engaging math tasks that increase conceptual understanding.
- Ensure that student get opportunities to utilize academic math vocabulary to deepen mathematical understanding.
- Promote discourse and partnership work that allow students to justify and argue their mathematical thinking.
- Ensure that written explanations demonstrate students' mathematical thinking. Rationale:
- Continue to implement G Fletchy tasks and units.
- Plan and implement Envisions curriculum and maintain lesson and supports from Go Math.
- Continue to use exemplar math problems to work on building conceptual understanding and also be able to articulate the thinking orally and and written.
- Ensure that math centers, home work, and unit tests spiral the skills.
- Implement STEM activities that provided more hands on learning and connection of the math to real world.
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) FOCI
We notice that students continue to require social emotional support. We need to continue increase students’ ability to identify their feelings, empathize, and resolve issues on their own. We need to continue to have students become more reflective and aware of their feelings.
- Increase students’ ability to identify their feelings and self-regulate.
- Continue to increase students’ ability to reflect and think of ways to handle conflict productively.
- Raise awareness of the diversity of our community in order to have activities that validate all types of families.
- Implement the mood meter (Ruler practices)in the classroom.
- Implement the Harmony units
- Enhance crisis intervention strategies.
- Ensure that think sheet becomes more consistent school-wide.
Annex (PK and K) Arrival and Dismissal
Kindergarten ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL - begins at 8:20 AM. All students enter by 8:30 AM
– Along gates- Yard on 43rd Street. Students will line up in designated areas. There will be signs with classes and class lists. In addition, we will have staff assisting.
- K1, K2, – Line up on left gate
- K5 - End gate by entrance door
- K3, K4- Line up along on right.
Kindergarten DISMISSAL - 2:50 PM. Please line up along gates on 43rd Street. Students will line up in designated areas.
Pre-Kindergarten ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL - begins at 8:20 AM. All students enter by 8:30 AM
Pre-Kindergarten DISMISSAL - 2:50 PM - Main entrance on 44th Street. Students will go inside and line up in designated areas.
Main Building (1st-6th Grade) Arrival and Dismissal
Arrival begins at 8:20 AM. Students go to their class NO LATER than 8:30 AM. Please come on time.
Arrival: 8:30 AM – Dismissal: 2:45 PM
GRADES 2, 3, and 6
- 2- 41st Street Gates (Lower Yard)
- 3-40th Street Gates (Upper Yard)
- 6- 43rd Avenue (Gazebo)
8:30 AM – 2:50 PM
GRADES 1, 4, and 5
- 1- 40th Street Gates (Lower yard)
- 4-3-41st Street Gates (Upper Yard)
- 5-43rd Avenue (Gazebo)
Students - 8:30 AM - 2:45 PM (2, 3 and 6 ) 2:50 PM (PK, K, 1, 5, and 6)
- Period 1 8:30 AM - 9:20 AM
- Period 2 9:25 AM - 10:15 AM
- Period 3 10:20 AM - 11:10 AM
- Period 4 11:15 AM - 12:05 PM
- Period 5 12:10 AM - 1:00 PM
- Period 6 1:05 PM - 1:55 PM
- Period 7 2:00 PM - 2:50 PM